The Government of Ontario is committed to improving quality, accountability and transparency in our health system. In keeping with these improvements and in the spirit of St. Mary’s General Hospital’s philosophy, we are pleased to post a compliance attestation and report on consultant use, as well as expense claim information for executive staff and the Board of Trustees.
St. Mary’s General Hospital – Executive Expenses
Under the Broader Public Sector Accountability Act, 2010 (the Act), all hospitals in Ontario are required to publicly post the expense claims made by the following individuals:
- Every member of the Board of Directors
- Chief Executive Officer/President/Administrator/Superintendent;
- Every member of the hospital’s senior management group who reports directly to the CEO/President/Administrator/Superintendent.
- Chief Operating Officer (COO) and every member of the hospital’s senior management group who reports directly to the COO.
Reports are published twice per year (November 30th for claims from April-September and May 31st for claims for October-March). All expenses are reimbursed based on the application of the Broader Public Sector Expenses Directive (April 2011) and St. Mary’s General Hospital Business Expense Policy.
|Ms. Christine Henhoeffer||Member and Chair, Board of Trustees||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Mr. Jim Harper||Former Member and Treasurer, Board of Trustees||Oct. 1, 2011 – March 31, 2012|
|Rev. Dr. Dieter Kays||Member, and Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees||Oct. 1, 2011 – March 31, 2012
|Mr. Tom Motz||Member, Board of Trustees||Oct. 1, 2011 – March 31, 2012|
|Mr. Stanley Nahrgang||Member, Board of Trustees||Oct 1, 2013 – March 31, 2104|
|Mr. Jim Stirtzinger||Member, Board of Trustees||Oct. 1, 2013 – March 31, 2014|
|Mr. Don Shilton||President, SMGH||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Dr. Ashok Sharma||Common Chief of Staff, SMGH & GRH*||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Dr. Blair Egerdie||Vice President, Medical Affairs||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Ms. Sandra Hett||Former Vice President, Patient Services and CNE||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Ms. Ingrid Suurmann||Vice President, Corporate Services and CFO||Oct. 1, 2011 – March 31, 2012|
|Ms. Lydia Chudleigh||Vice President, Quality & Performance Improvement and Diagnostics||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Mr. Gary Higgs||Chief Information Officer*||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Ms. Victoria Raab||Former Director, Communications & Patient and Family Centred Care||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Mr. Jack Borman||Former Chief Human Resources Officer||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
|Ms. LeeAnne Kidd||Former Vice President, Mission and Organizational Development||April 1, 2011 – Sept. 30, 2011|
(*) Joint position with Grand River Hospital
Public Sector Salary Disclosure
St. Mary’s proactively discloses its Salary Disclosure List to local media annually. Below, you will find the Hospital’s most recent disclosure list, as well as a copy of the full provincial Hospital and Boards of Public Health disclosure document.
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Salary Disclosure 2013 (disclosed March 31, 2014)
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Salary Disclosure 2012 (disclosed March 28, 2013)
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Salary Disclosure 2011 (disclosed March 23, 2012)
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Salary Disclosure 2010 (disclosed March 31, 2011)
- Ontario Hospitals and Boards of Public Health – Salary Disclosure 2010 (disclosed March 31, 2011)
If you have any questions about these documents, please contact Ingrid Suurmann, Vice President, Resources and Infrastructure and Chief Financial Officer.
Proactive Disclosure – Executive Compensation
Like all hospitals in Ontario, executive compensation at St. Mary’s General Hospital is tied directly to the organization’s achievement of metrics defined in its Quality Improvement Plan. Each year, members of the Senior Management Team (Executive Team) will have their performance measured against targets in patient safety, effectiveness of care, access to care, and patient-centred approach to care. The Board of Trustees measures and assesses this performance, and then determines what the executive team compensation will be for the fiscal year.
Currently, St. Mary’s “at-risk compensation” for executive team members is a claw-back of base salary, rather than a ‘bonus’ to base salary. The hospital is reviewing this practice against new Executive Compensation Guidelines released by the Ontario Hospital Association.
The chart below outlines executive compensation at St. Mary’s for fiscal 2011/12. Definitions for interpretation can be found below the chart.
|Total Compensation||Compensation is determined through performance metrics and an external compensation benchmarking review. The System CEO approves President’s compensation each year and will review the compensation plan of each executive.||Don Shilton, President: $247,200||Sandra Hett, VP Patient Services and CNE$170,590
*started Feb.22, 2011 – annual base salary
Dr. Blair Egerdie, Vice President Medical Affairs: $100,000 plus applicable taxes paid to Eunoia Incorporated.
Dr. Ashok Sharma, Common Chief of Staff (with GRH):: $335,000 (plus a bonus up to 10%) paid to Ashok Sharma Medicine Professional Corporation.
Bonus: is compensation at risk
|Compensation at Risk
|Each year a range of the Executive’s compensation is considered to be at risk and is held and measured against achievement of goals and objectives.||5%||3%|
|Automobile Allowance||An annual allowance is provided to off-set the costs of business related transportation.||$7,200 included in compensation||none|
|Severance||A one time payment that is provided in the event of a need to terminate employment without cause.||10 months notice or 10 months plus a month per every year up to a total of 24 months||Dr. Sharma: notice of 365 days or remaining contracted time remaining.
Dr. Blair Egerdie: 90 days notice or lump sum.
I. Suurmann: 4 months notice or 6 month lump sum.
|Education||An annual allowance available to off-set educational pursuits.||$4,000||Dr. Sharma: $6,000
Dr. Blair Egerdie: $5,000
|Pension||The Hospital participates in HOOPP||Based on Service and Compensation(contributory)||Based on Service and Compensation (contributory)
Note: neither Dr. Sharma nor Dr. Egerdie participate in the pension plan.
Additional Information and Resources – Corporate Accountability
- The Broader Public Sector Accountability Act, 2010 (BPSAA). This act sets rules and accountabilities for hospitals, Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) and other public sector organizations. As part of the BPSAA, all hospitals in Ontario are required to implement Ministry of Finance Procurement Directives and Expenses Directives that strengthen previous guidelines. They are also required to prepare compliance attestations and report on the use of consultants, as well as publicly post expense claim information (listed in the chart above).
- The Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act, 1996 (PSSD) requires organizations that receive public funding from the Province of Ontario to disclose annually the names, positions, salaries and total taxable benefits of employees paid $100,000 or more in a calendar year.
- The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The BPSAA, 2010 amends the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) to make hospitals subject to FIPPA. Effective January 1, 2012, and retroactive to January 1, 2007, any records that are in to a hospital’s custody and/or control are subject to the act. This amendment does not change rules applicable to personal health information. The Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 to apply to hospitals’ collection, use and disclosure of personal health information. For more information, or to make a request under FIPPA, click here .
Policies – Procurement and Expenses
Below you will find St. Mary’s policies policies for procurement and expenses. These policies are compliant with Ministry of Finance Procurement Directives:
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Supply Chain Guidelines Policy
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Authorization to Commit Funds for Equipment, Supply and Service Purchases
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Business Expense Policy
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Expense Reimbursement Policy
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – Perquisites Policy
If you have any questions about the above postings or related policies, please contact the office of Ingrid Suurmann, Vice President Corporate Services and CFO by calling 519-749-6668.