Arriving at St. Mary’s – Main Site
When you walk into the main entrance of St. Mary’s main site, you will notice a hand-hygiene station in the main lobby. We ask all patients and visitors to wash their hands upon arrival, and also when leaving. This helps us to maintain a healthy and safe environment for our patients.
To the left of the staircase in the main lobby, you will see an INFORMATION desk. During our core service and visiting hours, this desk is staffed by our dedicated volunteers. They will be happy to greet you and direct you to your destination – and if possible, they will accompany you. If there are no volunteers available when you arrive and you need directions or information, simply walk around the desk and to the left you will find our Switchboard Operators, who are also available to provide information and assistance.
St. Mary’s General Hospital is committed to ensuring accessibility to hospital facilities and services for patients and their family members. If you require any of the documents on our website in other formats, please contact our Patient Relations representative at 519-749-6578, ext. 6867.
Wheelchair Access (by location)
- St. Mary’s General Hospital – 911 Queen’s Blvd., Kitchener
Wheelchairs are located in the hospital’s main lobby. Please do not remove wheelchairs from hospital property.
- Main Entrance
- Emergency Entrance
- Washrooms throughout the hospital (identifiable by the universal wheelchair symbol)
- Cafeteria (Subway) via elevator from main floor
- Tim Hortons
- St. Mary’s General Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation – 50 Bathurst Dr. Unit #1, Waterloo
Main entrance (no button at the door, assistance required)
- Waterloo Region Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centre – 400 Queen St. South, Kitchener
For Deaf, Deafened and Hard Of Hearing
TTY pay telephones are located in the basement of the hospital, adjacent to Café 911 as well as in the Emergency Department. Portable TTY telephones are also available for inpatients.
If you or your loved one is more comfortable speaking a language other than English, we invite you to bring a trusted friend or family member who speaks your native language AND fluent English with you to act as an interpreter. If you do not have someone to help you, let us know and we will contact a translation service to help you at no charge.
Sign Language Interpreter
If you would like a sign language interpreter, you should mention this at the time of appointment booking. The Canadian Hearing Society will be contacted and will arrange for a qualified interpreter through its Ontario Interpreter Services program to join you during your visit.
St. Mary’s General Hospital has volunteers on duty throughout the day. The volunteers wear blue smocks and will be happy to assist you to your appointment or to visit a loved one. Please note that our volunteers cannot lift or transfer you.
Registered service animals are permitted in St. Mary’s General Hospital. Service animals are required to have identification upon entering the hospital, be at least one year old, and must have an annual certificate (not required to be carried).
There are 18 accessible parking spots located in the southwest corner of the visitor’s parking lot closest to the hospital’s main entrance and crosswalk. The parking spots are in two locations; one is directly across from the hospital entrance adjacent to Queen’s Boulevard, the other is adjacent to Patricia Avenue, as shown in the photo below.
St. Mary’s main site at 911 Queen’s Blvd. has a variety of parking options and rates for our patients and visitors.
For regular rates, take a ticket as you enter the visitors’ lot and carry it with you. Before leaving the hospital, insert your ticket and pay by cash or credit card at the payment kiosks in the main lobby or Emergency Department. You can also pay at the exit gate with a credit card.
NEW – discounted, multi-day passes (effective October 1, 2016) can be purchased at the window marked Information and Bill Payment in the main lobby. The discounted passes are 50 per cent off our highest daily rate of $14. Passes are inserted at the gate when entering and exiting the visitors’ lot. Each pass gives unlimited entry/exit over a 24-hour period and can be used any time within one year of purchase, on consecutive or non-consecutive days. Passes can also be shared between patients, their visitors and caregivers.
- 5 day Pass: $35.00
- 10 day Pass: $70.00
- 30 day Pass: $210.00
*Do not take a ticket at the entry gate if you wish to use your pass.
Regular parking rates:
- Up to 20 minutes: No charge (insert ticket at exit gate, not payment kiosk).
- Each half hour: $3.00
- Daily maximum: $12.00
- 24-hour in/out privileges: $14.00 (purchase at payment kiosk in hospital)
Revenue from parking fees is used to maintain parking lots and for patient care services. If you have any questions about parking at St. Mary’s contact:
Parking and Security Coordinator
519-749-6578, ext. 6402
Procedures and Appointments
Depending on the nature of your appointment, you may have paperwork you are required to bring with you. Please have this paperwork and your valid OHIP card (or alternate health insurance information for non-Ontario residents) ready when you register for your appointment.
Where Visitors Can Eat
St. Mary’s cafeteria is located in the basement off the main lobby and is accessible by stairs and by elevator. There is a Tim Hortons in the hospital main lobby, and a Subway in the cafeteria in the basement.
Subway is open on Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and on weekends from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Subway is closed on statutory holidays.
Tim Hortons is open on weekdays from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and on weekends from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.*
*Summer weekend hours: Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on statutory holidays.
Microwaves are also available in the cafeteria for patient, staff and visitor convenience.
During Your Stay
Your Personal Items
If you are coming for a planned procedure or appointment, please leave all valuable items at home or give them to a trusted friend or family member upon your arrival. This includes cash, credit cards, jewellery, important papers and any special items (such as orthotics). St. Mary’s is not able to guarantee safe-keeping of your personal items while you are admitted, and we cannot be held responsible for personal effects that are lost, stolen or damaged while you are in our care.
If you arrive in our emergency department and are unable to plan ahead to leave these items at home, again we ask that you give them to a trusted friend or family member upon your arrival. We cannot be held responsible for items that are lost, stolen or damaged while you are in our emergency department.
Your incoming mail is delivered daily. A Canada Post mailbox (for outgoing mail) is located across the street from the Main Entrance, next to the bus shelter and stamps are sold in the Gift Shop.
Incoming mail should be addressed as follows:
Your Name and Room Number
c/o St. Mary’s General Hospital
911 Queen’s Boulevard
Kitchener, Ontario N2M 1B2
If you are sending flowers to a patient at St. Mary’s, please note that some types are not allowed under the hospital’s Scent Free Policy. This is because they can cause serious problems in some people with allergies, scent sensitivities and breathing issues.
Flowers not permitted in the hospital:
Hospitality Network, in partnership with St. Mary’s, is pleased to provide patients with personal bedside television rental service. A portion of the revenue from rental services is returned to St. Mary’s and reinvested in caring for you. There are three ways to order TV service:
- If you are an inpatient, dial 3009 from your bedside phone and a Call Centre Agent will activate the service.
- If you are an outpatient, dial 1-866-223-3686 from any other phone and ask to speak to a Call Centre Agent who will activate the service. Customer Service Representative hours are: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday 10:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Service can be ordered online by visiting: www.hospitalitynetwork.ca.
Rental payments can be made by Visa or MasterCard only – please have the card number and expiry date ready. If you experience service issues with your rented TV, please call 1-866-223-3686. To learn more, visit the Hospitality Network website.
Free head phones are available at nursing stations for all patients renting TVs.
Hospitality Network, in partnership with St. Mary’s, is pleased to provide patients with a bedside telephone rental service. For information on renting a telephone during your stay, visit the Hospitality Network website.
When You are Discharged
Your care team will start to prepare you for your discharge date as soon as your care plan is in place. The hospital’s standard discharge time is 10:00 a.m. Please help us ensure a smooth transition for you by preparing your friends/loved one’s to support this discharge time.
Regular visiting hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. however, admitted patients are now able to have visits from designated family and other partners in care up to 24 hours a day. While the hospital is accessible 24 hours a day, the optimal visiting times for patients are a collaboration between a patient’s preference, condition and care needs.
To ensure safe and coordinated visiting, the process for visiting St. Mary’s from 8:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. is as follows:
- Visitors must have patient consent and be respectful of roommates
- Visitors enter through the Emergency Department and check in with the Security office
- Once checked in, Security will notify the clinical area for patient consent
- Security will escort the visitor(s) to the elevators
- Security can be requested to escort the visitor(s) from clinical areas to the exit after hours.
Visitors are also asked to:
- Comply with the two-visitor-per patient policy
- Check in with the nursing station the first time they visit the patient to learn about any specific restrictions
- Be aware that additional visitor restrictions are put in place during outbreaks to prevent illness from spreading
- Refrain from visiting when they are sick
- Clean their hands on entering and exiting the unit
- Respect St. Mary’s scent free policy and refrain from wearing scented products
- Be respectful of other patients and their families in shared rooms and elsewhere
- Note that for security reasons, the main entrance door is locked from 9:00 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. daily. During this period, visitors will need to follow the above instructions to access patient areas other than the emergency department.
St. Mary’s is pleased to provide free Wi-Fi to patients, families and visitors. We recognize that a hospital stay can be stressful, isolating and staying connected with family and friends is an important part of the patient and family experience. Access to the public Wi-Fi network at St. Mary’s is available throughout the hospital.
Hotel and Other Accommodations
As a Regional Cardiac Centre, St. Mary’s provides care to many people who live outside Waterloo Region. We have partnered with nearby establishments to offer compassionate rates for our patients and families. Please contact the establishment directly to find out their current compassionate rate and to book your stay.
Instructions for Patient/Family Member
- Patients/Family members are responsible for booking and paying for their accommodation.
- Each business listed below has indicated that they will provide compassionate rates to family/patients; rates vary by business.
- Please review the businesses below and the instructions provided for booking accommodation.
If you have any issues or concerns obtaining the rates indicated below, please contact the Communications department at St. Mary’s General Hospital (519-749-6578 ext. 1501) so that we can advise the business on this list.
Best Western Kitchener (Close to the Exit for Hwy. 8)
2899 King St. East, Kitchener
519-894-3500 or 1-866-373-4910
- Ask for the “Compassionate Rate for St. Mary’s General Hospital”.
- The rate will include a free hot breakfast, free local calling, free wireless hi-speed internet, free access to the business centre and free access to the fitness centre. All guest rooms are equipped with a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker and 32” LCD TVs.
Conestoga College Residence & Conference Centre * Available only from May until August.
99 Conestoga College Blvd, Kitchener
- One-and-two-bedroom suites with kitchenette (microwave, full fridge, counter space, kitchen table) and a private bathroom. Rate includes continental breakfast.
Courtyard by Marriott (Close to St. Mary’s Cardiac Rehab location)
50 Benjamin Rd. East, Waterloo
- Ask for the “ Mary’s General Hospital Compassionate Rate” Room rate includes shuttle service to and from area business, Wifi, access to 24 hour business center, free parking, Starbucks onsite, fitness center, and a fridge and microwave in all guest rooms.
Crown Plaza (Corner of King St. & Frederick St.)
105 King St. East, Kitchener
- Ask for In-house Reservations. If no one is available, speak to the front desk. If you are transferred to central reservations, you will need to call back to the front desk.
- Request the “Hospital Compassionate Rate”. Additional Parking fees apply.
Best Western Plus (Close to St. Mary’s Cardiac Rehab location)
547 King St. North, Waterloo
- Ask for the “St. Mary’s General Hospital Compassionate Rate” Room rate includes Wifi, access to 24 hour business center, free parking, swimming pool and Jacuzzi, fitness center, and a fridge and microwave in all guest rooms.
Holiday Inn (Close to the exit for Hwy.8)
30 Fairway Rd. South, Kitchener
- Request the “St. Mary’s Compassionate Rate”
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Waterloo/ St. Jacobs (close to St. Mary’s Cardiac Rehabilitation)
- Call the hotel directly and request the “St. Mary’s Compassionate Rate”
- Award winning hotel located just minutes from St. Mary’s General Hospital and directly across from St. Jacobs Farmers Market and Outlet Mall
- All rooms include a free hot buffet breakfast daily from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., as well each room has a fridge/microwave, 42” flat screen TV, Keurig coffee maker and in-room safe
- Suites available for extended stays with kitchenette
- Hotel features an indoor heated pool, fitness Center, guest laundry and elevators
- Free parking and free Wifi
- Complimentary Tuesday evening manager socials with a light dinner
45 Benjamin Road, Waterloo
- Request the St. Mary’s passionate rate
- One and two bedroom suites
- Rooms include 2 burner stovetop, full size refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, and full cutlery set
- High speed internet, free local calling, 24-hour business centre, free parking
- Free buffet style hot breakfast
- Further discounted rates for extended stays.
Radisson Hotel Kitchener (close to Highway 8 exit)
2960 King St. E. Kitchener
519-894-9500, ext. 0 for our Front Desk
- Ask for the Hospital rate
- Rate includes full hot breakfast, shuttle service 6:30-8:30 a.m./4:30-6:30 p.m.
- WIFI, free parking,
- Fitness centre, indoor pool
- Fridge & microwave in all rooms
Victoria Place Retirement Residence (Queen St. & Victoria St.)
290 Queen St. South, Kitchener
- Request the “Hotel Stay Room” and identify that you would like to request a compassionate rate. Room rate includes meals and a private bathroom.
2 Bedroom Airbnb Residence
65 Belmont Ave East, Kitchener
- For more information, and the full Airbnb listing, click here.
- When booking, please let the host know you are visiting a patient at St. Mary’s.
Important Hospital Policies
Scent Free Environment
St. Mary’s has a Scent Free Policy that applies to all patients, visitors, staff, physicians, volunteers, students and contractors. For the safety and comfort of those with allergies, scent sensitivities and breathing issues, please do not use scented products such as colognes, aftershaves, lotions, perfumes and scented personal care products.
Smoke Free Property
St. Mary’s is smoke free and supports provincial laws which ban smoking and the use of e-cigarettes on hospital property, including parking lots and within vehicles in those lots. Individuals who do not comply face fines of up to $1,000.
As a centre for cardiac and respiratory health, we are committed to providing a smoke free environment for the health and safety of our patients, visitors, staff, physicians, volunteers and all others on hospital property.
If you want to smoke, please do so off hospital property.
If you are interested in quitting smoking, here are two resources:
St. Mary’s Counselling Service provides free, confidential individual and group support, and up to 10 weeks of free nicotine replacement therapy for those who qualify. Call 519-745-2585, ext. 232.
Smokers’ Helpline offers help by phone 1-877-513-5333 or online at www.smokershelpline.ca.
Violence Prevention Program
St. Mary’s is proactively working to increase workplace safety and ensure a safe environment for patients and staff. We have developed a comprehensive zero tolerance approach that includes prevention, communication, rapid response and education. On your visit to St. Mary’s, you will see signs alerting patients and visitors that verbal or physical abuse of our staff, doctors, volunteers or patients will not be tolerated. Thank you for your cooperation.
St. Mary’s is dedicated to providing a safe environment for our patients and staff. In partnership with the Kitchener Fire Department, our staff practice regular fire safety procedures and test the alarms frequently. St. Mary’s staff are trained to respond to emergency situations and will instruct patients in the event of a real emergency. Fire exists are also clearly marked throughout the hospital. If you have questions about fire safety procedures during your stay, please ask a member of your care team for more information.