May 29th, 2017
May 29, 2017 (Kitchener) – St. Mary’s General Hospital has implemented a Strategic Plan for 2017-2019, which aligns with the hospital’s vision to be the safest and most effective hospital in Canada, characterized by innovation, compassion and respect.
“This plan continues on the path set out in our Strategic Plan of 2014-2017 and builds on the progress we have made, including strengthening our community partnerships,” says Dieter Kays, Chair of St. Mary’s Board of Trustees.
“The priorities in the 2017-2019 plan demonstrate how we are working to provide more integrated and seamless care, proactively manage our resources and develop current and future leaders,” adds Don Shilton, President of St. Mary’s.
The three priorities in the Strategic Plan are to:
Continue to deliver clinical excellence
As St. Mary’s continues to deliver clinical excellence we will work to establish a new Hospital Information System (HIS) by:
- Establishing a contract
- Initiating and building an HIS team at SMGH
- Designing and building systems with Grand River Hospital
- Implementing a new Hospital Information System
Transform the way we work
As we continue to transform the way we work we will:
- Implement a leadership development program and accountability framework
- Offer Lean training to physicians
- Complete Lean Management System training for remaining departments/units
- Implement rolling financial forecasts to promote proactive planning
- Implement a leadership development program for supervisors and leads
- Develop tools and processes to help recruit Lean thinkers.
Reach beyond our walls
As we continue to reach beyond our walls we will:
- Extend the Integrated Comprehensive Care Program (ICC) to other patient populations at St. Mary’s
- Assist other hospitals to implement ICC in the Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Network to implement ICC
- Determine how integrated funding will be calculated and managed.
Anne Kelly, Manager, Communications
519-749-6578, ext. 1501