November 30th, 2015
November 30, 2015 (Kitchener) – St. Mary’s General Hospital has been recognized for the third time in the past month as a great place to work.
St. Mary’s has been named one of Waterloo Area’s 15 Top Employers for 2016. It is the second consecutive year that St. Mary’s has achieved this regional designation through the Canada’s Top Employers Competition, conducted by Mediacorp Canada Inc.
The Canada’s Top 100 Employers Competition uses eight criteria are used to determine which employers offer the most progressive and forward thinking programs. The criteria include; physical workplace, work atmosphere & social, health, financial & family benefits, vacation and time off, employee communications, performance management, training and skills development, and community involvement.
Earlier this month, St. Mary’s was honoured by the Ontario Hospital Association (OHA) with a bronze level in the Quality Healthcare Workplace Awards. These awards recognize the success of healthcare organizations in improving their staff’s quality of work-life and the quality of services they deliver. St. Mary’s also received a silver award in the OHA’s Green Hospital Scorecard, a program designed to enable a high-level assessment of the environmental performance of a hospital, and to assist in identifying improvements.
“St. Mary’s has strengthened its focus in recent years on Human Resources, continuous improvement, and employee safety and engagement,” says President Don Shilton. “Our staff frequently tell us they are proud to be part of the St. Mary’s ‘family’. It is our compassionate culture and commitment to doing better every day that allows St. Mary’s to be a great employer and a leader in healthcare.”
Here are some highlights from the application by St. Mary’s:
- tuition subsidies for staff to take courses at outside institutions (to $1,500 annually) as well as a variety of in-house and online training programs;
- retirement planning assistance and a defined benefit pension plan;
- annual staff performance reviews;
- top-up payments for employees who are new parents;
- performance and peer based employee recognition awards;
- onsite health and wellness programs;
- phased in retirement, and paid health benefits for retirees;
- recipient of national and provincial awards and recognition for innovation and patient satisfaction.
Anne Kelly Interim Manager of Communications
Office: 519-749-6578, ext. 1501 ● Mobile: 226-339-1903 ● Email: email@example.com