December 1st, 2014
St. Mary’s General Hospital has been selected as one of the 15 Top Employers for 2015 in Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph Area.
This regional distinction comes as a result of an application by St. Mary’s to the Canada’s Top 100 Employers Competition, conducted by Mediacorp Canada Inc. St. Mary’s was selected among thousands of companies from across Canada to be recognized as one of Waterloo Area’s Top Employers.
“Our success is a tribute to the dedication of our staff, physicians and volunteers,” says Don Shilton, President of St. Mary’s. “It is their commitment to excellence, innovation and compassion that makes St. Mary’s a leader in health care and a wonderful place to work.”
Top Employers in designated regions across Canada were then selected from this short list. Selections are based on a number of criteria including: physical environment, work atmosphere and communications, employee compensation and benefits, training and development, diversity, environmental leadership and community involvement.
Here are some highlights from the application by St. Mary’s:
- a charitable focus on building healthy communities, the hospital encourages employees to get involved outside of work with paid volunteer time;
- encourages employees to keep their skills sharp with tuition subsidies for courses at outside institutions (to $1,500 annually) as well as a variety of in-house and online training programs;
- helps employees plan for life after work with retirement planning assistance and a defined benefit pension plan;
- family friendly policies that assists employees who are new parents with top-up payments;
- performance and peer based employee recognition awards;
- employee perks and discounts program;
- onsite health and wellness programs, such as lunch hour yoga and Weight Watchers;
- program for experienced workers, such as mentorship program to transfer retiree skill, phased in retirement, and paid health benefits for retirees;
- recipient of national and provincial awards and recognition for innovation and patient satisfaction.
– 30 –
St. Mary’s General Hospital