St. Mary’s provides hands-on learning opportunities to students from many disciplines. Please review the following information to learn more about Student Placements at St. Mary’s.
In order to secure a student placement at St. Mary’s General Hospital (SMGH) please contact the Academic Coordinator at your educational institution. It is your Academic Coordinator who should work to secure a placement for you at the hospital. Academic Coordinators at all educational institutions that have a standing affiliation agreement with SMGH will have a contact at the hospital through which they can secure a placement for clinical training. In the case that your Academic Coordinator does not have a contact and/or an affiliation agreement with our hospital, it is important that your Academic Coordinator contact the SMGH Student Placement Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 519-749-6578 ext. 6682.
Each student wishing to complete a work placement at St. Mary’s must provide a signed and completed an Unpaid Work/Education Placement Agreement. This form must be submitted to the SMGH Student Placement Coordinator prior to beginning your placement.
- The hospital has a legal obligation in accordance with the Ontario Public Hospitals Act to ensure that all persons performing regular activities in the facility comply with Communicable Disease Protocols. When both the Academic Coordinator and the SMGH Student Placement Coordinator have approved a placement, it is the student’s responsibility to schedule a Health and Immunization review. This must be done at least two weeks prior to the student beginning their placement. To schedule this review, contact St. Mary’s Occupational Health Department at 519-749-6578 ext. 6490. Please do not book this appointment unless you have been notified that your placement is approved.
* Please note that all Conestoga College students are exempt from this requirement.
Immunization record requirements include documentation of the following:
- a 2-step Tuberculosis Skin Test (a recent chest x-ray is required if the TB skin test is positive);
- Proof of Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Chicken Pox vaccination or lab immunity
- Other vaccinations including Tetanus/Diphtheria, Hepatitis B and Influenza are strongly recommended
- All students wishing to complete a placement at SMGH require a Police/Criminal Records Check. To obtain a Police Check you will need to contact the Waterloo Regional Police Department or your local police department. You or your educational facility is responsible for the charge that is associated with this, which is approximately $30.00. If you live in Waterloo Region, the Waterloo Regional Police offer a reduction in the cost of a Police Check for volunteer or unpaid placements (reduced cost is $10). You will require a letter in order to qualify for this reduction which can be obtained from your Academic Coordinator or from the SMGH Student Placement Coordinator by email at email@example.com or 519 749-6578 ext. 6682. Once completed, please submit the Police Check to the SMGH Student Placement Coordinator prior to beginning your placement.
- All students must sign a Privacy, Confidentiality & Acceptable Use Agreement . This signed agreement must be submitted before your placement begins as you will not be given computer access until this form has been completed. Completed forms should be submitted to the SMGH Student Placement Coordinator.
- All students are required to attend SMGH Hospital Wide Orientation. This occurs monthly on the first Monday of each month. Every attempt should be made to attend prior to beginning your placement.
- Students who require an ID Badge will be given an opportunity to purchase one during Hospital Wide Orientation. If you are starting your placement prior to Hospital Wide Orientation, you must contact Human Resources at 519-749-6578 x 6682 to set up an appointment. Some form of identification must be worn during your placement at SMGH. If you do not have photo identification provided by your educational facility you must obtain an SMGH ID Badge. Students requiring after hours access or parking will also need an ID Badge. A $10 deposit is required for SMGH ID Badges. This is refundable at the end of your placement when the ID Badge is returned to Human Resources.
Parking Information for Students
Parking is available for students in a designated lot at 1077 Queen’s Boulevard. The cost of parking for this lot is $2.35 for each shift you will be working (in addition to a mandatory $10 deposit for a parking card). It is the responsibility of the student to determine in advance, if possible, the number of days they will be at the hospital and provide Human Resources with parking payment (cash only) for the whole term. Once payment has been processed, the student will receive a parking card.
For More Information
Any additional questions about Student Placements should be directed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to 519-749-6578, ext. 6682.