February 14th, 2021
In consultation with Waterloo Region Public Health, St. Mary’s has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 on February 14 on its third floor West Unit involving one patient and four staff members. Patients and staff with COVID19 are in our thoughts and we wish them well in their recovery.
Measures initiated on the unit include the following:
- The third floor West Unit is closed to new admissions.
- Droplet contact precautions are in effect throughout the unit.
- Staff will remain dedicated to that unit.
- Enhanced cleaning continues.
- Care Partner visits are temporarily suspended, except in exceptional circumstances, such as when a patient is at end of life or if the care team determines there could be a marked improvement in a patient’s condition with a visit. Efforts have been enhanced to connect patients by phone or virtually with Care Partners.
Please note, as the third floor unit operates as part of St. Mary’s Regional Cardiac Program, the following measures are in place to support the program:
- At this time the Regional Cardiac Care Program will be continuing with emergent cases.
- All other cases will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- All patients will be contacted directly if there are any changes to their scheduled procedure.
- For other surgical needs within the program, St. Mary’s will be looking to our Regional hospital partners to support.
Thank you for your understanding and we will share more information once it becomes available.