June 23rd, 2021
July 7, 2021: In consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, St. Mary’s has declared an end to the outbreak on its fifth floor. In total, five patients and three staff members were associated with this outbreak. Our thoughts are with them as they continue to recover.
As of today:
- The unit will fully reopen to new admissions and transfers.
- Diligence with universal masking and face shields continues.
- Enhanced cleaning will continue throughout the unit.
- Care Partner visits can now resume based on the hospital’s visitor policy.
Outbreaks are extremely difficult for everyone involved. We are grateful to our teams who are working tirelessly to prevent the transmission of COVID-19.
June 23, 2021: In consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, St. Mary’s General Hospital is declaring a COVID-19 outbreak on its fifth floor. There are three positive patients and one staff member currently associated with this outbreak. Our thoughts are with them as they recover.
The following precautionary measures are in place as we continue to investigate:
- The unit has been closed to admissions with the exception of resolved COVID-19 cases.
- Droplet contact precautions continue.
- Enhanced cleaning continues.
- Care Partner visits are temporarily restricted for patients cohorted on the unit, except in exceptional circumstances, such as when a patient is at end of life or if the care team determines there could be a marked improvement in a patient’s condition with a visit. Efforts have been enhanced to connect patients by phone or virtually with Care Partners.
Updates will be provided as new information becomes available.