April 12th, 2021
Update as of May 5:
In consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, St. Mary’s has declared an end to a COVID-19 outbreak on its fourth floor. Four patients and one staff member were associated with this outbreak. We are thinking of them as they recover.
Now that the outbreak is over:
- The unit will fully reopen to new admissions and transfers.
- Diligence with universal masking and face shields continues.
- Enhanced cleaning will continue throughout the unit.
Outbreaks are extremely challenging for everyone and we are grateful to our teams who continue to work tirelessly to prevent transmission of COVID-19.
In consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, St. Mary’s has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 on its fourth floor. There are three cases currently associated with this outbreak. Our thoughts are with the patients affected.
The following precautionary measures are in place:
- The unit is currently closed to admissions, with the exception of COVID-19-positive and COVID-19-resolved patients.
- Asymptomatic testing will be set up as part of ongoing surveillance.
- Droplet contact precautions continue.
- Enhanced cleaning continues.
- Care Partner visits are temporarily suspended, except in exceptional circumstances, such as when a patient is at end of life or if the care team determines there could be a marked improvement in a patient’s condition with a visit. Efforts have been enhanced to connect patients by phone or virtually with Care Partners.
Updates will be provided as new information is available.