In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, St. Mary’s Cardiac Rehab Program is offering a home-based program. Our centre is currently closed for all on-site programming. Cardiac Rehab participants can access support through telephone and video contact with our healthcare team. We also have a wide range of resources for heart health available online. The program is offered at no-cost to those who have Ontario health insurance plan (OHIP).
Please note that you will be contacted by our program once we have reviewed your referral and confirmed you are an appropriate candidate. We are not able to answer individual inquiries at this time.
In order to be considered for the program, a physician referral is required. Click here for the Cardiac Rehabilitation referral form. Please note that you will be contacted by our program. We are not able to answer individual inquiries at this time.
About Cardiac Rehab
Cardiac rehabilitation is an evidence-based program to help individuals with a cardiovascular condition achieve a heart healthy lifestyle through exercise and risk factor education.
- Next to your hospital visit, cardiac rehab is the most important part of your recovery.
- It’s about gathering knowledge, accessing support and making healthy choices to live your best life.
- You’ll learn what’s best for you now, what kind of exercise is safe and enjoyable for you, and how to develop healthy eating and lifestyle habits you can stick with.
Research shows that cardiac rehab helps to:
- Decrease your risk of dying early.
- Improve your energy level and how you feel in mind and body.
- Reduce your chances of being re-admitted to the hospital.
What You Can Expect From Our Home Program
- Telephone-based health assessment with a Cardiologist or Nurse Practitioner.
- Personalized exercise plan from our Registered Kinesiologist and telephone follow-up support for up to 3 months.
- Telephone nutrition advice and counselling with our Registered Dietitian.
- Telephone consult with our Nurse Practitioner for specific medical concerns.
- Virtual education sessions covering a variety of heart health topics.
- Support to work towards your personal goals for heart health, including activity and diet.
- A range of resources available for you on our website anytime.
- St. Mary’s Cardiac Rehab Program is offering virtual visits. During a virtual visit you will speak with your health care team using a telephone, smartphone or your computer.
- St. Mary’s is using virtual visits more often to reduce how many people come to the hospital. This is to protect our patients, staff and the community from the spread of COVID-19.
- St. Mary’s uses the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN) for virtual visits including the education sessions provided in your cardiac rehab program.
- OTN is a secure video conferencing tool that is funded and fully supported by the Government of Ontario to enable people to receive care at home. OTN is secure and private (encrypted). Personal health information discussed during the virtual visit is not stored or kept in any way by OTN. For more information, please visit https://otn.ca/.
What Our Participants Say About The Program
Cardiac rehab participants who finish the program report that they:
- Feel more confident about exercising safely.
- Are better able to manage stress and anxiety
- See improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Feel more in control during their recovery and beyond.
We understand that no one wants to be in a situation where cardiac rehab is needed. Our team of experts have helped thousands of people, like you, improve their heart health. And most of all, they are thankful they did it.
St. Mary’s Cardiac Rehab Team
As a participant in St. Mary’s Cardiac Rehab Program, you will benefit from the expertise of our multidisciplinary team:
- Nurse Practitioner
- Registered Kinesiologists & Exercise Assistants
- Registered Dietitians
- Intake Coordinators
- Administrative Staff
For more information contact
Karolina Perraud, Program Manager
Cardiac Innovation and Strategy, Heart Failure Clinic and Cardiac Rehab
519-749-6578 ext. 4118
Please take advantage of the wide range of resources that will help you in your recovery and developing heart healthy habits for life. These resources can be downloaded and printed.