May 7th, 2021
In consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, St. Mary’s has declared an end to the COVID-19 outbreak on its third floor. In total, three patients and two staff members were associated with this outbreak. We are thinking of them as they recover.
Now that the outbreak is over:
- The unit will fully reopen to new admissions and transfers.
- Diligence with universal masking and face shields continues.
- Enhanced cleaning will continue throughout the unit.
Outbreaks are extremely challenging for everyone and we are grateful to our teams who continue to work tirelessly to prevent the transmission of COVID-19.
May 7, 2021
In consultation with Region of Waterloo Public Health, St. Mary’s General Hospital is declaring a COVID-19 outbreak on its third floor. Two patients are currently associated with this outbreak. Our thoughts are with them as they recover.
The following precautionary measures are in place as we continue to investigate:
- The unit will partially reopen to admissions. In consultation with Public Health, the unit will be split into two cohorts.
- Contact tracing and asymptomatic testing has been initiated and will continue as needed.
- Droplet contact precautions continue.
- Enhanced cleaning continues.
- Care Partner visits are temporarily restricted for patients cohorted on the COVID-positive end of the unit, except in exceptional circumstances, such as when a patient is at end of life or if the care team determines there could be a marked improvement in a patient’s condition with a visit. Efforts have been enhanced to connect patients by phone or virtually with Care Partners.
Updates will be provided as new information becomes available.