May 3rd, 2021
Starting on Monday, May 3, St. Mary’s General Hospital will be increasing the frequency with which patients can receive visitors. Earlier this year, as a result of the spread of COVID-19, the hospital restricted these visits substantially.
We’ve heard from staff, patients and their families about the importance of balancing safety and compassion, and have decided to make the following changes:
Inpatients are permitted 1 visitor once every 3 days for 1 hour, starting on the day of their admission. The visitor should remain the same person for the length of the admission where possible;
- ICU patients (except ICU “C”) are permitted 1 visit every second day, for 1 hour. Visitors can change every week, or after 3 visits;
- ICU “C” patients are permitted 1 visit for 1 hour during the ICU “C” admission; and
- Generally, one support person will be permitted in the Emergency Room. At times, due to space limitations, staff may request support people exit the hospital until the patient is in a space with better ability to have the support person return.
Safety Measures in Place
Make no mistake: the third wave is here and it has added pressure to our hospital along with the rest of Ontario. That’s why we’re implementing a number of new safety measures to go along with our new visitor policy. These include:
- Creation of new Wayfinder positions which will ensure:
- That interaction between busy clinical staff and visitors is reduced;
- That visitors don’t wander or get lost and that they wear appropriate PPE;
- That visitors don’t overstay beyond their designated time; and
- That visitors understand the reasoning for the new policies.
- Maintaining clear documentation and communication for visitors
- Limiting the time and number of people who can visit in a designated period of time
We also continue to encourage virtual inpatient visits, which can be arranged by contacting our Patient Experience Guides at ext. 1184 or email@example.com.
We thank you for your continued flexibility as we work to continue accommodating everyone’s needs.